Beyoncé wins 8 gongs at the Video Music Awards 2016
Beyoncé picked up eight gongs at this year’s Video Music Awards (VMAs) in New York on Sunday (28.08.16) night.
The 34-year-old singer had all eyes on her at the ceremony at Madison Square Garden after her popular single ‘Formation’ nabbed six trophies, while her sixth studio album ‘Lemonade’ walked away with the Breakthrough Long Form Video.
The brunette beauty paid tribute to her four-year-old daughter Blue Ivy and her husband Jay Z as she bounded onto the stage following her intense 16-minute performance to collect her glistening award for the Video of the Year.
‘Formation’ – taken from ‘Lemonade’ – then went on to win Best Direction, Best Editing, Best Pop Video, Best Choreography and Best Cinematography, while her second single ‘Hold Up’ from the new album got Best Female Video.
Beyoncé’s incredible win at this year’s ceremony makes her the most awarded artist in the event’s history after her career total of 24 now beats Madonna’s previous record of 20.
Related: The pictures you need to see from the MTV VMAs
However, she wasn’t the only winner at Sunday’s awards as Calvin Harris – who recently split from Taylor Swift – swiped two gongs; the Best Male Video for his club hit ‘This Is What You Came For’ featuring Rihanna, and ‘How Deep Is Your Love’ with Disciples for Best Electronic Dance Video.
Fifth Harmony also managed to walk away with two prizes; the Song of the Summer for ‘All In My Head’ featuring Fetty Wap, while their hit ‘Work From Home’ with Ty Dolla Sign nabbed Best Collaboration.
Joe Jonas’ band DNCE walked away with the Best New Artist award, Drake got Best Hip Hop Video for ‘Hotline Bling’, Coldplay’s ‘Up&Up’ got Best Visual Effects, and twenty one pilots’ ‘Heathens’ managed to swipe Best Rock Video.
The late David Bowie – who tragically died in January at the age of 69 – got the Best Art Direction award for ‘Blackstar’, while Rihanna won the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award – also known as the Lifetime Achievement Award – which is dished out to artists who have made a profound effect on the MTV culture.
The full list of 2016 VMA winners are as follows:
- Video of the Year – Beyoncé – ‘Formation’
- Best Female Video – Beyoncé – ‘Hold Up’
- Best Male Video – Calvin Harris ft. Rihanna ‘This Is What You Came For’
- Best Collaboration – Fifth Harmony ft Ty Dolla Sign – Work From Home’
- Best Hip Hop Video – Drake – ‘Hotline Bling’
- Best Pop Video – Beyoncé – ‘Formation’
- Song of the Summer – Fifth Harmony ft. Fetty Wap – All In My Head’
- Best Rock Video – twenty one pilots – ‘Heathens’
- Best Electronic Video – Calvin Harris & Disciples – ‘How Deep Is Your Love’
- Breakthrough Long Form Video – Beyoncé – ‘Lemonade’
- Best New Artist – DNCE
- Best Art Direction – David Bowie – ‘Blackstar’
- Best Choreography – Beyoncé – ‘Formation’
- Best Direction – Beyoncé – ‘Formation’
- Best Cinematography – Beyoncé – ‘Formation’
- Best Editing – Beyoncé – ‘Formation’
- Best Visual Effects – Coldplay – ‘Up&Up’
Want more breaking celebrity news? Click here.