Impress your guests with this delicious dish
Vegetarian, easy to make and absolutely delicious! This mushroom ravioli recipe – the signature dish of Back O’ The Moon restaurant executive chef, Vaughan Assam – is perfect for a festive season dinner.
MUSHROOM RAVIOLI WITH CHUNKY TOMATO SAUCE
- 1 packet of wonton skins
- 6 cups Shimeji mushrooms
- 6 cups porcini mushrooms
- 2 cups button mushrooms
- 3 cups white onion
- 4 tbsp thyme
- 4 tbsp garlic
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 5 cups tomato
- 1½ cups basil pesto
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup salted butter
- Maldon salt and black pepper, to taste
- Micro greens, to garnish
- Chop the onion and garlic into small cubes. Slice all the mushrooms.
- Chop half the tomato into small cubes. Grate the remaining half.
- Fry a third of the onion with the garlic and thyme. Add the grated tomato and simmer. Place through a strainer once cooked.
- Repeat step 3 with another third of the onion and the chunky tomato. Set aside.
- Fry the mushrooms with the remaining third of onion. Season to taste, add the cheese and allow to cool.
- Place the mushroom mix in the centre of the wontons and fold them closed, crimping the edges. Cook in boiling water when ready.
- Heat both the smooth and chunky sauces. Place a dollop of the smooth sauce on the plates.
- Plate half of the ravioli on top of the sauce. Saute the remaining half in butter and pesto, then plate.
- Spoon over the chunky tomato mix and garnish with parmesan cheese and micro greens.